Preparing for Programs
Update: May Programs have been canceled, and we are in communication with students about possible alternatives.
With the development of COVID-19 and through ongoing conversations with our hospital partners, we are cautiously optimistic that students will be able to go abroad in late Summer 2021 without disruption to their shadowing and travel experience.
The dates and destinations listed on our website are subject to change. Rest assured that throughout the process, we will communicate what to expect and how to plan so that your preparations go as smoothly as possible. We recommend waiting to purchase flights until closer to your program start date (5 to 10 weeks prior) and to choose flights that offer flexible changes and cancellations.
– Last Updated: Feb. 24, 2021
Possibility of Cancellations
We continually monitor CDC guidelines, local regulations, university policies, partner hospital directives, and other sources to determine the best course of action regarding program cancellations. Atlantis will promptly announce any cancellations for Summer 2021 and provide advance notice for enrolled students to choose an alternative program or receive a refund. (See policy linked below, effective Sept. 21, 2020.)
Our goal is to have a final decision at least 60 days before the program start date, and ideally several months in advance. That said, if last-minute decisions do need to be made, we appreciate your flexibility and openness to alternative programs.
In order to guarantee hospital shadowing and adequate safety measures, our options for 2021 are limited to fewer locations.
Currently, programs are temporarily suspended for the following destinations: Greece (all cities); Torun, Poland; Praia, Cape Verde; Padua, Italy; Turin, Italy; Burgos, Spain; Cuenca, Spain. Please keep an eye on our Program Destinations page for up-to-date program openings.
For previously enrolled students now transferring to 2021 programs, please reference the Post Enrollment emails and "Q&A: Coronavirus and Program Alternatives."
- We provide comprehensive travel & health insurance plans for all students during their time abroad, which cover medical expenses due to accidents, sickness, and specifically COVID-19. Benefits include emergency medical evacuation.
- We provide training for all Site Managers on how to monitor students’ health, isolate students who may have been exposed to COVID-19, and respond quickly to issues that may arise. Site Managers are available 24/7 and will assist with health-related needs.
- We carefully select housing that is clean and safe. Disinfection protocols are overseen by the Site Manager throughout the program.
- Shortly before departure, students must declare in writing that they have not had any symptoms of COVID-19 and that they will follow all instructions of Atlantis and hospital staff regarding social distancing, hygiene, wearing masks, and other safety measures. Detailed protocols will be communicated pre-departure and during onsite orientation.
- Responsibility lies with students to abide by all rules and regulations, and Atlantis is not responsible for the loss of shadowing hours if students develop symptoms or have been exposed to COVID-19 such that they are not able to enter the hospital.
Every year we offer merit scholarships and limited financial aid. Applications & decisions are reviewed & processed in March.
- Financial aid is need-based and can cover up to 50% of program fees. Eligibility is determined through a separate application available to accepted students only.
- Merit scholarships are highly competitive. A separate application and interview are required after acceptance & enrollment in a program.
For students enrolling in Summer 2021 programs, there is a $500 bring-a-friend discount. Each friend you refer receives $500 toward their program, plus, you receive $500 discount for each friend you refer. (Note: The $500 bring-a-friend discount cannot be combined with discounts from alumni referrals or Ambassador ID numbers).
The online application takes approximately 1 hour to complete.
Once your application passes our initial review, you will be invited to a group meeting and a 30-minute one-on-one call to address the details of the program and any questions you may have. Once you’ve completed those calls and program dates are finalized, you can pick your program, pay the deposit, and start planning your trip.
Applications for summer programs will continue to be accepted through March, as long as placements are available.
© 2021 St. Mary's Institute for Educational Excellence, LLC